|1 1/2" diameter ball of clay
See the Clay Chapter for more instructions, hints, tips, and ideas.
- Make two balls (one smaller one for the head and a larger one for the body) of clay
- Join the two circles by pushing them together and painting with water.
- Make two snakes about 1/4" in diameter. Make one 3" and the other 1 1/2" long.
- Place the short snake with one end on the left side of the snowman's neck and
hanging down. Place the long snake so that it goes across the neck from right to left.
On the left side, fold the long snake so that it hangs down beside the shorter snake.
- Cut a hat from the remaining clay using a knife. Join it to the head by pushing
them together and painting with water.
- Use tools to make the eyes, mouth, and buttons.
- Allow to thoroughly dry, then paint. Since the snowman will be painted white (and
white doesn't cover other colors very well), be careful when painting the other parts
of the snowman so that you don't get paint where it doesn't belong. Paint the eyes,
mouth, and buttons first because they are more difficult to get to. Then paint the
scarf and hat, and finally the body and head.
Copyright © 2001 Vincent Hale